Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez

image Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez

 

I was never really interested in reading this book, but I’ve been told that out of a few of the more popular classics, this was the one I’d love most.

 

Of course it made me wonder what it was about this book that people thought I’d love. Keep in mind I had no idea what it was about, I bought the book without even looking at the summary on the back cover.

 

I finally decided to read it, took a look at the summary, and became extremely disappointed. “What?? She married someone else and he only declares his love for her again 50 years later? When they’re more than 70 years old??!!”

 

Don’t worry, that wasn’t a spoiler, that was on the back cover.

 

I thought about how much time wasted that was, because I’d love to spend my whole life with someone I love, and not just have at most a decade or so left with him. And then it actually got me thinking, am I sure I married the right man and don’t have anyone else I’m thinking about now that I’d regret not marrying?

 

Thank goodness, I’m very happy and very sure I married the man I love, and there’s no one else I’d rather marry! (Except maybe Johnny Depp!)

 

So anyway, I read this book, and loved it! And wonder why I do.

 

There’s this saying that young people in love is a work of nature, but old people in love is a work of art. That’s probably how I feel about this book.

 

This couple don’t exactly spend their whole lives pining for each other, although they fell in love 50 years ago, but they went on with their lives, well, sort of. The beauty of this book is in the storytelling, I think, but it’s quite indescribable and so intangible that I can’t put into words what it is about the book that I liked.

 

In fact, I’m not quite sure what it is!

 

Nevertheless, it is a beautiful book, and I loved it.

0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates