Friday, April 10, 2009

Lament: The Faerie Queen’s Deception by Maggie Stiefvater

image

Lament: The Faerie Queen’s Deception by Maggie Stiefvater

 

I found out about this book from a bookblog review, and then I checked out the Amazon.com reviews to make sure if it was really something I’d enjoy.

 

I have to say that I’m quite disappointed in this book, and I don’t understand all the good reviews it has gotten.

 

To be fair, it’s not a bad book, but it’s not good either. It has a good storyline, and Stiefvater’s writing is actually very easy to read and flows wonderfully. It has exciting moments and a great plotline, but the characters completely fell flat.

 

I’m quite a character-driven reader, and I need to like the characters to like the story. However, the characters in this book is so undeveloped that I find myself wondering who they are, why they do the things they do and just wanting to know more about them.

 

I never even knew Deidre was a 16-year-old girl until later in the story because she seemed so childish and immature, and I actually felt a uncomfortable when she shared a kiss early in the story with Luke. It was a steamy kiss, and I kept wondering, how old is she? Is she supposed to be kissing like this?

 

The other characters aren’t much better, and all through the book, I felt that they all were having some kind of identity crisis or other.

 

I do think that Stiefvater is a good writer though, and perhaps if she spent more time on character development, I would give her books another try.

0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates