Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Teaser Tuesdays: December 16 2008

TEASER TUESDAYS asks you to:

  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!
  • Please avoid spoilers!

My Teaser:

 

I found this at a bargain bookstore on Sunday, and it caught my attention because I'm interested in human psychology and what makes people do the things they do.

 

This book is based on the results of an experiment where a group of students were placed in a mock prison. The study had to be terminated in less than a week, because the 'guards' had become sadistic and the 'prisoners' pathological.

 

The basic premise is that a good person, if put in a certain situation, can become evil and do things that they never thought they were capable of. Zimbardo asks us to think twice about our own capability to do evil, and to ask ourselves if we would really be capable of horrible acts when put in the right (or wrong) situations.

 

Quite honestly, I already know that if I had to, I could do anything to make sure I survived, because I have a very strong survival instinct. But of course, just because I can doesn't mean I will. There are always grey areas, and it always depends on individual situations.

 

lucifereffect

 

 

"He is dumped into the Hole - with the distinction of being its first occupant. The guards show that they are united about one principle: they will not tolerate any dissent." ~p.51, Philip Zimbardo's The Lucifer Effect: How Good People Turn Evil


 

 

 


PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Teaser Tuesdays post, or share your 2 Teasers in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks!

0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates