Thursday, December 04, 2008

Cotillion by Georgette Heyer (TT#3)


My Thursday Thirteen today features Georgette Heyer's Cotillion. I've just finished reading it earlier this week and was going to write a review for it, but I thought it would be fun to write my thoughts about it in a Thursday Thirteen post.

I also made my first graphic for Thursday Thirteen featuring Heyer's book! So here it is: 13 Thoughts on Georgette Heyer's Cotillion!


1. It's my first book by Georgette Heyer, and I loved it so much I don't know why I didn't start reading her books sooner.

2. I probably wouldn't have picked up this book if it wasn't because other book bloggers were reading her books and raving about them.

3. This book is about a girl name Kitty, whose guardian decides that he will leave his fortune to her only if she marries one of his great-nephews.

4. She doesn't want to marry any of her guardian's nephews who offered for her because her heart belonged elsewhere, but if she didn't, she would be left destitute without a penny to her name.

5. So she asked one of the great-nephews to pretend to be engaged with her, until she could get the man she had feelings for to offer to marry her.

6. I found myself getting very fascinated with the character's personalities and the way they talked. I thought the way Heyer brought the characters to life was masterful.

7. She's also the master of subtlety; showing off events, situations, and how the characters handled them, giving us the barest of hints of what's to come.

8. This is the most romantic, sensible, and realistic romance I've ever read. Although I enjoy reading them sometimes, I feel that romances that tells stories about tall, macho heroes sweeping beautiful, buxom blondes, are only good for entertainment and definitely nothing like how you should choose your partners in real life.

9. I loved this book because it parallels my own beliefs and notions when it comes to falling in love and staying in love. I think this is the kind of book people who are unhappy in love should read, instead of reading romances that make them expect a prince to come and sweep them off their feet.

10. There's a lot more that I really want to say about why I love this book, but I can't without giving it away.

11. In fact, I wanted to put down my thoughts about it so much, but I knew I couldn't without giving it away, that I actually started a private Book Journal because of this book! Just so I can record my thoughts down.

12. Perhaps one day I can discuss the things I've written in my private Book Journal with someone who's read the book, but for now I'm really happy that this book
prompted me to start a journal, because I'm really enjoying recording my private thoughts about other books I'm reading too.

13. I really can't recommend this book enough. I can't wait to read Heyer's other books too!

And as a bonus: 13 more books by Georgette Heyer!


0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates