Thursday, December 18, 2008

My Year of Reading Dangerously Challenge 2009

dangerously_big

Not another challenge! I can't seem to stop! I am getting quite worried that I'm signing up for too many...

 

Mission: Read 12 books you deem "dangerous." between January 1st and December 31st 2009. They may be banned or challenged books, new-to-you genres, books that seem to inhabit a permanent space on your stacks, or authors you're afraid of. The possibilities are endless! If it's dangerous to you, it's challenge-worthy to us!

 

For more information, go to the Challenge blog.

 

I'm taking this one up because there are some books on the recommended list that I plan to read anyway, but I do have to add more later that I didn't plan to read. That's ok though, that's what challenges are about. =)

 

So here's an incomplete list of books I'll be reading for this challenge so far.

 

Updated (1/22/09): I've finalized my list of books and the reasons I want to read them. This is going to be an exciting challenge!

 

1. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - I've started and stopped this book about 3-4 times, I think it's time to finally finish it.

2. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov - Because it's a banned book and it's controversial. (Finished 2/15/09)

3. Dragons of Eden by Carl Sagan - He says our ancestors were reptiles.

4. The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin - He says our ancestors were monkeys.

5. The Descent of Women by Elaine Morgan - She says maybe we are naked apes, or maybe we are hairy porpoises.

6. The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell - I tried to read this once before but it made my head hurt will all the thinking. But I want to try it again, because it's good to think.

7. Paradise Lost by John Milton - About Hell and all that. Dangerous reading, I'm sure.

8. The Heart of Wicca by Ellen Cannon Reed - The basics on traditional Wicca, completely different from what most people believe Wicca to be. (Finished 3/2/09)

9. Fantastic Voyage by Ray Kurzweil - Non-fiction about prolonging your life to the point of living forever.

10. Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser - It's scary to think of what our eating habits are really doing to us, and very to think of changing our habits. (Finished 2/27/09) 

11. Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder - Tried this many years ago but never finished it. Guaranteed to make me think though.

12. Moby Dick by Herman Melville - This book daunts me and I just really want to face my fear of reading it. =P

0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates