Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

neverletgo

 

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

 

As I think is well-known by now, I've got an insatiable curiosity that can be both a good and a bad thing.

 

I read a basic synopsis about this book, and it said something about how Kathy, Ruth, and Tommy are three of a very special group of individuals, and how Kathy finds out exactly why they're so special, when she grows up and learns more about herself.

 

So I wondered why they were special too, and I wanted to find out why really quickly, 'cause I was curious, like I said, and I ended up reading this book really, really fast, just to get to the part that tells us why they're special.

 

Well, it's not that they don't tell you, because they do, but why are they special because of that? I wonder. I almost felt like I should have to extract information from Ishiguro painfully, the way he told us things. Evasive, unclear, hints to this and that, and I ended the book still confused and wondering what exactly happened.

 

Other than the fact that Ishiguro isn't very forthcoming with information, the book was a great read, and the premise of the book is fascinating, and really fires up your imagination. Perhaps that's why he doesn't want to tell too much, so that there would be something left to our imaginations.

 

It's quite a heartbreaking book really, and in some ways, scary, but I think it's a must-read, and it's well worth reading too.

 

This book is available for discussion on Betty's Book Chats.

0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates