Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Reading Challenges

Ok, I spoke too soon about not finding reading challenges that I wanted to join! These last couple of days I've become addicted and found lots to join, so I'm going to list them all here together so that I can keep track of them. The good thing is that most of them can be crossover books, so one book can be counted for a few of the challenges.





The Countdown Challenge started from 8/8/08 and goes on until 9/9/09, so I'll start with this first. The rules are as follows:

  • The goal of this challenge is to read the number of books first published in a given year that corresponds to the last digit of each year in the 2000s — 9 books from 2009, 8 books from 2008, etc. The total number of books required, therefore, is 45.
  • This challenge lasts from 8/8/08 through 9/9/09. Yes, it is retroactive to August 8th!
  • Crossovers with other challenges are allowed and your lists may change at any time.

Interested readers can still sign up here. You can follow my progress here on my dedicated page.


 

chunkster2

The Chunkster Challenge is to read fat books! For more info, go here.

I'm taking the 3rd option:

Mor-book-ly Obese - This is for the truly out of control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to 6 or more chunksters OR three tomes of 750 pages or more. You know you want to.....go on and give in to your cravings.

My dedicated page is here.

 

 



The World Citizen Challenge is for non-fiction books. Here's the link to the
official page and the rules.

I'm doing the Majors, which is:

The Major Level Despite the occasional, impertinent “And what are you going to do with a degree in that?!” question, you’ve realized that World Citizenship is where your passion really lies, so you declare your major. For this level, you need to commit to five books, from at least three different categories.

And here's the suggested reading list. And my dedicated page is here. 


rync1

The Read Your Name challenge is to read your name in book title first letters, ultimately spelling out your name. You can use any name you want, your real name, your blogger name, the name you always wished you were called, like maybe Princess Aurora, or Superman. LOL!

The challenge runs from Jan. 1st 2009, to Dec. 31st 2009, you can join anytime before Dec. 31st 2009. (Well, if you join on Dec. 30th, you can always just read one book that starts with your initial. *g*)

You can sign up with Mister Linky at the
Read Your Name Challenge blog. And you can follow my progress on my dedicated page.


dangerously_big

Mission: Read 12 books you deem "dangerous." between January 1st and December 31st 2009. They may be banned or challenged books, new-to-you genres, books that seem to inhabit a permanent space on your stacks, or authors you're afraid of. The possibilities are endless! If it's dangerous to you, it's challenge-worthy to us!


For more information, go to the Challenge blog.


I'm taking this one up because there are some books on the recommended list that I plan to read anyway, but I do have to add more later that I didn't plan to read. That's ok though, that's what challenges are about. =)


To see the list of books I will be reading for this challenge and for more information, go to my dedicated page.




The Well-Seasoned Reader Challenge runs from Jan 1 until March 31, 2009. The goal is to read three(3) books that:

have a food name in the title / be about cooking/eating / have a place name in
the title / be about one (or more) person's travel experience / be about a
specific culture / be by an author whose ethnicity is other than your own

More information and sign-ups here. My dedicated page is here.



The Casual Classics Challenge starts on Jan 1, 2009 to Dec 31, 2009. The challenge is to read four(4) classics in 2009. Easy enough, I guess. Sign-ups here.

Visit my dedicated page to see the classics I've read.





The What's in a Name (Part 2) Challenge is great and I think I'm going to have lots of fun with this one. The challenge is to read one book from each of the categories:


  1. A book with a "profession" in its title. Examples might include: The Book Thief, The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Historian
  2. A book with a "time of day" in its title. Examples might include: Twilight, Four Past Midnight, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
  3. A book with a "relative" in its title. Examples might include: Eight Cousins, My Father's Dragon, The Daughter of Time
  4. A book with a "body part" in its title. Examples might include: The Bluest Eye, Bag of Bones, The Heart of Darkness
  5. A book with a "building" in its title. Examples might include: Uncle Tom's Cabin, Little House on the Prairie, The Looming Tower
  6. A book with a "medical condition" in its title. Examples might include: Insomnia, Coma, The Plague

For more details about this challenge and to sign up, go here. Follow my progress on my dedicated page.




The New Author Challenge is to read books by new authors (kinda obvious, isn't it?). It's for the whole of 2009, and you can set your own goal for how many new authors you want to read. More info and sign-ups here.

My dedicate page is here, click to see new authors I've read. 





And lastly, the 2009 - 100+ Reading Challenge to read 100 books or more in 2009. Info and sign-ups here. My own dedicated page can be found here.

 

That's about it for now, and hopefully, that's gonna be it for 2009!

0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates