Thursday, November 20, 2008

Booking Through Thursday Thirteen - 1st Edition

bttToday's BTT question is:

I receive a lot of review books, but I have never once told lies about the book just because I got a free copy of it. However, some authors seem to feel that if they send you a copy of their book for free, you should give it a positive review.

Do you think reviewers are obligated to put up a good review of a book, even if they don’t like it? Have we come to a point where reviewers *need* to put up disclaimers to (hopefully) save themselves from being harassed by unhappy authors who get negative reviews?

I've answered using Thursday Thirteen's meme below. This is fun! =)


Thirteen Things about Betty and Honesty in Reviewing Books:

1. I have reviewed free copies of books, CDs, DVDs, and graphic novels from authors and publicists.

2. I used to feel obligated to give them good reviews.


3. Some I disliked so much that my conscience won't let me give glowing reviews.


4. My conscience also won't let me tear them to shreds.


5. So I give them the most honest and constructive reviews I can, so that the review will help the author/musician/producer to improve their work too.


6. I point out bad things as gently and clearly as I can.


7. I also make sure to highlight the good things.


8. When I first started reviewing, I tore a book I didn't like to shreds.


9. And was promptly flamed for it by fans of the book.


10. It was scary!


11. I learned my lesson and do my best not to give such scathing, unhelpful reviews.


12. I think the important thing is to give helpful reviews, no matter your feeling about the review material.


13. I once reviewed Paolo Coelho's The Alchemist, which was then featured on his blog!


That's all this week! =)


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


--------------------
Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates