Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Good Books Lately by Ellen Moore and Kira Stevens

goodbooksGood Books Lately: The One-Stop Resource for Book Groups and Other Greedy Readers by Ellen Moore and Kira Stevens

 

I found this in a bargain bookstore, and I thought it was a book about good books. I must admit that I didn't look very closely at what it was about, and because I was in a hurry, I just went ahead and bought it.

 

When I realized it was about book groups, I was surprised, but still interested in what the book had to say. I had almost given up on ever finding a 'physical' book group a long time ago, at least, one which I thought would suit my tastes. But I thought I'd read the book just for the sake of learning something new.

 

It was either the biggest mistake or the best thing I could have ever done! I got so excited while reading the book, and so envious of all the things that were happening in book groups that I always wanted to have but never got the chance to, and I got so fired up that I decided that if I couldn't find a book group, I would form my own.

 

I wrote a post that asked for local readers to join my group, quite a specific one, in fact, and I forwarded it to all my friends through email and even on facebook. Sadly, I only got *one* reply(!) and I thought that perhaps I should forget about a 'physical' book group. So I racked my brain, trying to think of the next best thing I could do.

 

The result is an online real-time book club, where readers can choose a specific book to read each month, and then discuss it together in a real-time chat room on a specific day and time.

 

The first chat is scheduled for January 9th and 10th, depending on your time zone, and since I launched it last Monday, 7 people have already signed up for it!

 

The best thing is, since I set up the online book club, I've gotten 3 more members for my 'physical' book club, which makes 5 of us! Although I originally wanted 10 to start of with, I think 5 is a great number too, and we're meeting up this Saturday for a getting to know you session.

 

To think that neither one of my book groups, online or in real life, would have happened at all if I didn't pick this book up and read it!

 

More books about Book Groups:

 

0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates