Friday, January 16, 2009

Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster

daddylonglegs

Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster

 

This book is a re-read, and one of my all-time favorite books. I read it when I was a little girl, and I loved it.

 

I've re-read it many times since, and I still love it. The ending can still move me and bring me to tears, no matter how many times I read it, and even though I almost know the story by heart.

 

The last time I read it was a couple of years ago, and I guess I was feeling a little bit nostalgic and thought I'd read it again.

 

This book is my first introduction to the epistemology style of telling a story, and I think it's still the best.

 

Judy Abbott is an orphan who is sent to college by a rich, anonymous trustee from the orphanage she was brought up in. The only request he makes is that she writes him letters to tell of her progress in college every month.

 

Judy is hilarious, charming, and lovable, and the letters she writes are simply delightful reading. She tells funny stories about the friends she makes at college, the lessons she learns, and the boys she meets. You really feel that you get to know her well, and you can't help but fall in love with her.

 

The ending is wonderful, and of course, it's a surprise for those who don't know the story, but although I already know what happens, it still gets me every time.

 

Although this is written for young girls, I think I will always love this book no matter how old I am. I'm sure I'll enjoy it again when I'm 98 and have lots of grandchildren, and I'm sure they'll love it as much as I do too.

0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates