Wednesday, August 26, 2009

13 Favorite Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books : TT #25

I thought it would be fun to list 13 of my favorite sci-fi & fantasy books, so in no particular order, here they are:

1.image The Host by Stephanie Meyer

About aliens that invade human bodies and take over their lives. They’re not as violent as they sound and are in fact, almost too peaceful to a fault. But a few of the last humans aren’t going to give up their lives and their bodies so easily.

This is a beautiful story of love and friendship that has touched my heart.

Read my review here.

2.image Biting the Sun by Tanith Lee

This book is actually two books in one, Biting the Sun & Drinking Sapphire Wine.

It’s about a hedonistic world where  everyone can do whatever they want, commit suicide and come back in a different body they design. Robots do all the work, and the protagonist, whose name we never find out, tries to find more meaning in life.

Read my review here.

3.image Grass by Sheri S. Tepper

This is an futuristic novel written like an epic historical one. The communities in the other planets are looking for a planet safe from the plague, where they can run to.

The only planet that’s immune is Grass, so called because it’s mostly covered in Grass, but it seems the inhabitants of Grass may not be as friendly as they hoped.

Read my review here.

4.image Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

This book is like a darker, more sinister, deeper version of Alice in Wonderland. The protagonist, Richard Mayhew, is originally from London Above, but somehow finds himself in the world of London Below, where everything’s really weird and not at all what he expects. 

Click here to find out more.
5.image Season of Passage by Christopher Pike This is my absolute favorite Christopher Pike book, and I worship Pike!

Lauren Wagner and her crew has been sent to Mars on an expedition. Not all of them came back, and the ones who did, didn’t seem themselves. Lauren’s fiance and younger sister know something is wrong, and they have to do something even if it kills them to do it.

Click here to find out more.
6.image The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood This is a frightening story, mostly because it is entirely possible that one day it could happen. Similar events have happened before, after all.

In this story, women are treated like animals. They are divided into classes, where some are to keep houses, and others to produce offspring. The protagonist, Offred (of Fred), tells the story of how a world like this came to be.

Click here to find out more.
7.image The Neverending Story by Michael Ende I watched the movies, and I fell in love with them. Then I read the book, and fell completely head over heels in love with it.

Bastian, a human child, reads The Neverending Story, and becomes the world of Fantasia’s only hope for survival. I love it! Fantasia is such a wonderful, beautiful world, with so many colorful characters!

Click here to find out more.
8.image A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin Oh, where do I even start with George R. R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series? Will it suffice to tell you that I’ve said many times, that if I was forced to read only one book (series count!) in my whole entire life, it would be this. Coming from an addicted reader to whom reading is like breathing, you know this book must be something good!

Click here to find out more.
9.image The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley This book is the story of King Arthur told primarily from the females’ perspectives. From Morgaine (Morgan le Fay) to Gwenhwyfar (Guinevere), we are told about the power struggle between religion and politics, and Christianity and Pagan. One of the best books I’ve ever read and my favorite Arthurian story!

Click here to find out more. 
10.image The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger Well, the movie has just come out (but not here in Malaysia yet), I can’t wait to see it!

This is the story about a man who was born with a rare genetic defect that gives him the ability to time-travel, but through no control of his own. His wife suffers his sudden disappearances and absences, but their love endures despite it all. Heartbreaking and very moving.

Click here to find out more.
11.image Sunshine by Robin McKinley One of the best vampire stories I’ve ever read. Robin McKinley is one of my favorite fantasy authors, and this is my favorite book from her by far.

There’d been a lot of books lately about human girls falling for handsome vampires, but a lot of them are too corny for my taste. This is one of the better ones.

Read my review here.
12.image The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman My brother started me on these books and I loved them. He’s a huge Dragonlance fan and have almost every book in the series. While I loved the stories too, there are way too many of them for me to read, and I’m the sort who needs variety.

However, you can’t call yourself a fan of fantasy unless you’ve read The Dragonlance Chronicles at least. These are;
1. Dragons of Autumn Twilight
2. Dragons of Winter Night
3. Dragons of Spring Dawning
13.image Un Lun Dun by China Mieville Similar with, but lighter than, Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere, this is another story about an alternate world of London where nothing is like what it seems.

This book can be scary and exciting, and I enjoyed all the imaginative and creative things that Mieville came up with.

Read my review here.



0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates