Monday, June 29, 2009

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

image

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

 

I’d heard a lot of good things about this book before I picked it up, but when I realized that it was about a girl living in 1939 in Germany during the time of the Nazis, I put off reading it again and again.

 

I had assumed that it would be a difficult and dry read about the Nazi regime, and I hadn’t been in the mood for these kind of books the last few months. But then I thought about all the great reviews and recommendations from so many other readers. They can’t be all wrong.

 

So I decided to start reading it, and once I started, I couldn’t stop.

 

Death is the narrator, and getting to know him throughout the book, he seems almost human in the end.

 

Death tells us the story of the book thief, a little girl name Liesel, and her life on Himmel Street with her friends and her family. It’s an incredible story, there are happy moments and devastating moments, and so many interesting ones.

 

We watch Liesel live through those few years, hungry and poor, but mostly happy and loved, and always, stealing books. We see how the books mold her, help her create friendships and get through the tough times, and how in the end, they literally save her.

 

It’s a heartbreaking read and it brought me to tears, but it’s such an amazing read too, and it’s definitely become one of my most favorite books.

0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates