Saturday, July 11, 2009

Floating in My Mother’s Palm by Ursula Hegi

image

Floating in My Mother’s Palm by Ursula Hegi

 

I read Hegi’s Stones from the River some years ago, and I thought it was hauntingly, heartbreakingly, beautiful. That was my first Hegi book.

 

Floating in My Mother’s Palm is my second book from Hegi, and supposedly, it can be read as either a prequel or a sequel to Stones from the River.

 

The truth is, I have a habit of forgetting details of the books I’ve read, and since I read Stones from the River so long ago, I’ve forgotten most of the details.

 

I remember Trudi Montag, of course, but honestly not much else at all. Hanna is lovely, and I enjoyed most of Floating in My Mother’s Palm, but I must admit to being a little lost when I finished the book.

 

I felt that it ended a little abruptly. Or maybe abruptly isn’t the word I’m looking for. I think it ended a little too soon. I expected more. I wanted more. I felt like Hegi left me hanging. Perhaps it’s because I have to re-read Stones from the River to tie up the loose ends, I don’t know, but I do feel a compulsion to revisit the book again, that’s for sure.

 

I do think that Floating in My Mother’s Palm would not make a great standalone book, though many fans of Stones from the River love it, I’d think it’s only good if you read it with Stones from the River. In that case, I recommend reading both. Because Floating in My Mother’s Palm is charming, and Stones from the River is amazing.

0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates