Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays : February 10 2009

TEASER TUESDAYS asks you to:

  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!
  • Please avoid spoilers!

My Teaser:

 image




"I was careful to make sure Hugh never smelled alcohol on my breath. He rarely came close to me anyway and I developed a trick of having my head bent over some task - mending or washing up - when he came home, so he just used to kiss the top of my head." ~p. 155, Linda Gillard's A Lifetime Burning







I finished this book a few days ago, but it's stayed on my mind until now because it was such an emotionally intense book.

 

It's about the hopeless life of a woman, Flora, who has only ever wanted to find happiness but suffers so much trying to achieve it. In childhood, her musically talented twin brother outshines her, so she decides to go to drama school. Then she tries to find love and at age 21, marries a man twice her age. Later when she's older, she has a scandalous affair with her brother's son, her own nephew.

 

At the beginning of the book, Flora isn't portrayed as very likable at all, and later you realize that she'd been misunderstood. While you may not agree with the things she does and the way she feels, you understand why she's the way she is, and you can't help but feel sorry for her.

 

This book is extremely controversial and some people may hate it, but if you can keep an open mind and allow yourself to look through Flora's perspective, you may gain something valuable from it.

 

It's emotionally difficult to read, and can be quite depressing too, but that's how I feel about Wally Lamb's books, and I think his books are worthy reads.

 


PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Teaser Tuesdays post, or share your 2 Teasers in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks!



0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates