Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Postman by David Brin

The PostmanThe Postman by David Brin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Postman movie starring Kevin Costner was one of my favourite Kevin Costner movies. I don’t like a lot of movies he acted in, but I thought The Postman was really inspiring and hopeful.

I never knew it was based on a book, and even when I came across this book, I wasn’t sure if it was just another book with the same name as the movie. I was curious to find out though, and sure enough, it was the same story as the movie.

Well, not the same exactly, movies based on books are always different because there’s no way you can fit everything in the book into a 2-hour, or in this case, a 3-hour movie.

There were enough similarities in the book and the movie that I was sure the movie was based on the book, but mostly, it was a completely different story. There were more complications in the book, for one, and some techno stuff thrown in, like modified human beings and the concept of “living computers”. It was also bleaker and slower-paced than the movie.

This is an unusual case where I liked the movie better than the book, but still, it was really interesting to see where the story came from and how it was originally written.

0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates