Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Stephen King's IT

IT by Stephen King

Date Started: 15th Feb 2007
Date Finished: 27th Feb 2007

Rating:

So I finally finished my second Stephen King novel. It took me a considerable while, being 1114 pages long, and I was reading it during CNY, which of course limited my reading time with all the open houses and all.

Anyway, it was well worth the read. If I had to describe it in one word, it'd be 'epic'.

Here's dictionary.com's definition:

ep·ic
–adjective Also, ep·i·cal.
1. noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style.
2. resembling or suggesting such poetry.
3. heroic; majestic; impressively great.
4. of unusually great size or extent

IT definitely is all of the above, other than no.2... =P

The thing that amazes me most, is that King managed to take a really lousy storyline, and turn it into the most amazing story. I mean, come on, a monster from long ago who preys on kids and eats them? How cliche is that? Granted he wrote this story back in the 80's, so it probably wasn't *so* cliche then. But after reading and watching so many horror stories and getting really bored with the same old same old, this book is really something new.

Written more than 20 years ago, and still much better than most horror stories today. And like I said, it's a *really* lousy storyline. He made it good. He made it intense. He made it an epic.

The last time I described a book this way was after I had read The Count of Monte Cristo. Now that, was an epic. But The Count of Monte Cristo had a great storyline! And IT had a really bad one. Again, I have to exclaim at what a great writer King is!

I'm really wondering why I had such a hard time reading his novels before. I must get them out again and read them.

0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates