Sunday, March 01, 2009

The Heart of Wicca by Ellen Cannon Reed

image

The Heart of Wicca by Ellen Cannon Reed

 

This book is in my Reading Dangerously challenge. I chose it because it was about something most of us don't usually know about.

 

A lot of us have misconceptions about Wicca, thinking it to be a frivolous religion where young teenagers call themselves witches and cast spells. Most of us have this idea because of various shows and movies about "Wicca", which of course, doesn't portray Wicca accurately at all.

 

Personally, although I think of myself as a spiritual person, I'm not so much religious. I don't like following rules, preferring to go my own way most of the time, but still I enjoy studying about religions, their history, and how they work.

 

What I really liked about this book is that it dispels all misconceptions about Wicca. Instead of being frivolous and "fluffy", Wicca is in fact, a much harder path to follow. It involves a lot of study, and I mean a LOT! On topics such as mythology, deities, herbalism, astrology, and more.

 

I must say I'm intrigued! I enjoy studying, and I'm interested in all the above topics. I'll probably study them on my own, a little by little.

 

There is also much more to Wicca than just studying though, but all these are Mysteries that cannot be told and only can be experienced. I understand what they mean, because I have experienced a few of these Mysteries myself, it would be wonderful if I could learn more, of course.

 

Well, spirituality is a lifelong study, and I'm sure I'll learn more as I go. In the meantime, I highly recommend this book to anyone who's interested in learning what Wicca is really about.

0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates